Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Computational Systems Biology
Head of Laboratory:Ulykbek Kairov
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Systems Biology carries out research in the following directions:
- Bioinformatics analysis of high-throughput genomic data from the next-generation sequencing platforms (Illumina HiSeq2000/MiSeq, Roche 454).
- Bioinformatics analysis and meta-analysis of tumor transcriptomes from high-throughput microarray platforms (Affymetrix/Illumina).
- Bioinformatics analysis of cancer transcriptome and gene expression data from next-generation sequencing platform Illumina HiSeq2000 / MiSeq.
- Development of new integrative approaches and methods for analysis of human whole transcriptomes and whole genomes.
Development of bioinformatics facility and biomedical databases based on research results.
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Computational Systems Biology was established at the Center for Life Sciences, Nazarbayev University. The mission of the Lab of Bioinformatics and Computational Systems Biology is development of Kazakhstani bioinformatics and systems biology by performing research, improving facility, establishing collaboration with the leading research groups as well as staff training. Scientific research of Laboratory focused on the study of biological processes of living organisms, using modern methods of bioinformatics and systems biology. The main research objects:
- Human genome
- Human transcriptome
- Bacterial genomes (tuberculosis)
Currently, Laboratory actively collaborates with the following research centers:
- Institute Curie, Paris, France (study of cancer diseases).
- Harvard Medical School, USA (study of non-coding genomic variants).
- Institute of Genomic Medicine, Korea (human genome research).
- Institute of Physical-Chemical Medicine, Moscow, Russia (study of bacterial genomes and microbiomes, development of biological databases).
- University of Southern California, USA (study of alternative splicing).