Research Institute of Genomic & Personalized Medicine
Head of Institute:Ainur Akilzhanova
The main purpose of creation of Genomic Medicine Institute (GMI) is to develop the advanced multi-omics technologies of biomedical science and to implement the innovative products on their basis for the preservation and improvement of public health. Within GMI search for new genetic markers for early diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of multifactorial and monogenic diseases; development of genetics of immune disorders: tuberculosis, pharmacogenomics, population genetics and ethnogenomics; development of bioinformatics and systems biology; creation of material and technical base and staffing of biobank; development and transfer of new technologies of new generation sequencing (NGS) and multi-omics technologies are planned.
The main tasks of Genomic Medicine Institute are:
- Conduct research and coordination of research activities in the field of genomic and personalized medicine, genomic and multi-omics technologies, bioinformatics and computational systems biology, human population genetics;
- Coordination of cooperation with international organizations on issues of clinical and scientific activities, medical and pharmaceutical education, postgraduate education and another innovative activity;
- Development of priority directions of medical science for Center for Life Sciences, National Laboratory Astana (CLS, NLA), Nazarbayev University, including enforcement of intellectual property rights developed by CLS, NLA;
- Implementation of international standards of research in the field of genomic and personalized medicine;
- Translation of advanced scientific developments in the field of genomic and personalized medicine into clinical practice;
- Coordination of continuous professional development, training of specialists and scientific workers of the institution;
- Establishment of a non-governmental organization: Kazakhstan Society of Geneticists.
The institute has (1) Laboratory of genomic and personalized medicine, (2) Laboratory of Bioinformatics and computational systems biology, (3) Laboratory of population ethnogenetics.