Surface modification and production of multifunctional self-cleaning superhydrophobic materials
Brief information about the project on the topic "Surface modification and production of multifunctional self-cleaning superhydrophobic materials"
Relevance – development of our own technologies for obtaining superhydrophobic self-cleaning materials from cheap domestic raw materials at the present time is an urgent problem for sharply continental climatic conditions of Kazakhstan. Due to the hydrological, biological and salt imbalance of a significant part of the Republic, there is a need to create innovative effective superhydrophobic materials and technologies. One of the promising directions for solving this problem is the development of hydrophobization technology for building materials. The problem of protecting the material from moisture is solved by modifying the surface of the materials with hydrophobizing coatings. The ideological concept of the project is the creation of super-hydrophobic self-cleaning materials used in construction for concrete, paving anti-icing tiles, building facades, roofs and waterproofing of buildings.
Aim of the project – superhydrophobic transformation of glass, roofing materials, tiles for building facades, surfaces of building materials such as concrete, paving slabs. Investigation of the wetting, self-cleaning, rough, microfluidic and adhesive properties of the materials obtained.
Expected results – during the implementation of the project, construction materials will be obtained that can be used for waterproofing buildings, covering roofs and facades of buildings, creating hydrophobic concrete, and as anti-ice coating of roads and sidewalks, which is very important under the climatic conditions of Kazakhstan.
The expected scientific and socio-economic effect is due to the use of cheap technology for the production of superhydrophobic material and its modifications at the expense of improving the technology of raising the level and quality of life of the population. The simplicity, originality and low cost of the method of producing hydrophobic materials has attracted the attention of researchers around the world. Thus, the area of prospective research is a sector of science where breakthrough results are likely to open up new innovative technologies for producing superhydrophobic coatings with a predicted positive scientific and socio-economic effect. The use of cheap technology for producing superhydrophobic self-cleaning building materials will help to increase the level and quality of life of the population. The population will be the target consumer of the results, including the subject composition.
The obtained scientific results can be applied in the construction of residential buildings, in road construction and agriculture, and are commercializable.
Achieved results – the surfaces of facade, concrete composite materials, paving slabs, glass were modified, and the hydrophobic properties of the obtained materials, such as wettability, self-cleaning and roughness, were studied. The processes of microfluidics on the surface of the obtained materials and their adhesion properties were studied.
The conditions for the synthesis of SiO2 / TMSS composites were optimized, which achieved a superhydrophobic effect with a wetting angle of 165º on glass and 156º on sand. SiO2 nanoparticles with a monodisperse size of about 200 nm were obtained under the condition of coagulation with an aqueous solution of NH4OH at pH 9; with further insertions of TMCS with pH 3, a rough morphology and functional group –Si-O-Si were obtained, which have a hydrophobic effect.
Experiments with the manufacture of a waterproofing layer for paving slabs have shown good results using a layer of hydrophobic sand. The behavior of droplets on treated surfaces is indicative of a non-wetting or difficult-to-wet effect. The obtained samples of cement forms, made with hydrophobizing agents such as silicone oil, motor oil and hydrophobic sand practically do not absorb moisture and acquired a waterproofing layer.
According to the results of the study, in 2021, 2 articles were published in an international journal with an impact factor:
- R. Zulkarnay, O. Ualibek, O. Toktarbaiuly, P.W. May. Hydrophobic behaviour of reduced graphene oxide thin film fabricated via electrostatic spray deposition // Bulletin of Materials Science 44, 2021 стр. 1-7. Импакт фактор: 1.30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12034-021-02381-x
- R Kudaibergenova, O Ualibek, E Sugurbekov, G Demeuova, C Frochot, S Acherar, Gulnar Sugurbekova. Reduced graphene oxide-based superhydrophobic magnetic nanomaterial as high selective and recyclable sorbent for oil/organic solvent wastewater treatment. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-021-03722-3
Research group members
Идентификатор - Scopus ID 55509723300, ORCID ID 0000-0003-4594-3435
- Toktarbaiuly, A. Syrlybekov, O. Mauit, A. Kurbanova, G. Sugurbekova, I. Shvets. Magnetic and electronic properties of Fe3O4/PtSe2/Fe3O4 junctions. Materials Today Proceedings. 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.11.579
- R. Zulkarnay, O. Ualibek, O. Toktarbaiuly, P.W. May. Hydrophobic behaviour of reduced graphene oxide thin film fabricated via electrostatic spray deposition. Bulletin of Materials Scienc 44, 2021 (1-7). 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12034-021-02381-x
- V.Usov, C. Ó Coileáin, A.N. Chaika, S. I. Bozhko, V.N. Semenov, S. Krasnikov, O. Toktarbaiuly, S. Stoyanov, and I.V. Shvets. Revealing electromigration on dielectrics and metals through the step-bunching instability. Physical Review B. 102, 035407. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.102.035407
- G.Sugurbekova, Y.Sugurbekov, G. Demeuova, O.Ualibek, A.Kurbanova, O. Toktarbaiuly, O.Mauit. The Effect of Doping on the Structure of Zinc Oxide Obtained by Atomic Layer Deposition. Materials Science Forum 990, 330-336. 2020. DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.990.330
- O. Mauit, D. Caffrey, A. Ainabayev, A. Kaisha, O. Toktarbaiuly, Y. Sugurbekov, G. Sugurbekova, I. Shvets, K. Fleischer. Growth of ZnO:Al by atomic layer deposition: Deconvoluting the contribution of hydrogen interstitials and crystallographic texture on the conductivity. Thin Solid Films 690, 137533. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2019.137533
- O. Toktarbaiuly, V. Usov, C. Ó Coileáin, E. Norton, S. Bozhko, V. Semenov, A. Chaika, S. Krasnikov, O. Lübben, B. Murphy, G. Cross, G.K Sugurbekova and I. Shvets. Step bunching with both directions of the current: Vicinal W(110) surfaces versus atomistic-scale model. Physical Review B, 97, 035436. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.97.035436
- A. Syrlybekov, E. Arca, R. Verre, C. Ó Coileáin, O. Toktarbaiuly, A. Khalid, H. Zhang, and I. V. Shvets. Induced morphological changes of vicinal MgO (100) under high temperature anneal: step formation and surface stability. Surface and Interface Analysis, 47, 969-977. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/sia.5805
- Usov, S. Stoyanov, C. Ó Coileáin, O. Toktarbaiuly, and I.V. Shvets. Antiband instability on vicinal Si (111) under the condition of diffusion-limited sublimation. Physical Review B, 86, 195317. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.86.195317
Идентификатор - Scopus ID 54941305100
- |R. Zulkarnay, O. Ualibek, O. Toktarbaiuly, P.W. May. Hydrophobic behaviour of reduced graphene oxide thin film fabricated via electrostatic spray deposition. Bulletin of Materials Science 44, 2021 (1-7). 2021. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12034-021-02381-x
- R. Kudaibergenova, O. Ualibek, E. Sugurbekov, G. Demeuova, C. Frochot, S. Acherar, G. Sugurbekova. Reduced graphene oxide-based superhydrophobic magnetic nanomaterial as high selective and recyclable sorbent for oil/organic solvent wastewater treatment. Int. J. Environ. Sci. Technol. (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13762-021-03722-3
- R. Verre, K. Fleischer, O.Ualibek and I.V. Shvets. “Self-assembled broadband plasmonic nanoparticle arrays for sensing applications”. Applied Physics Letters, 100, 031102 (2012), Impact Factor: 3.6. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3674982
- Ualibek, V. Verre, B. Bulfin, V. Usov, K. Fleischer, J. F. McGilp and I.V. Shvets. “Manipulating and probing the growth of plasmonic nanoparticle arrays using light”. Nanoscale, 5, 4923 (2013), Impact Factor:7.367. https://doi.org/10.1039/C3NR00087G
- Verre, M. Modreanu, O. Ualibek, D. Fox, K. Fleischer, C. Smith, H. Zhang, M. Pemble, J. F. McGilp and I. V. Shvets. “General approach to the analysis of plasmonic structures using spectroscopic ellipsometry”. Physical Review B, 87, 235–428 (2013), Impact Factor: 3.836. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.87.235428
- Fleischer, O. Ualibek, V. Verre and I. V. Shvets . “Formation of plasmonic nanoparticle arrays rules and recipes for an ordered growth”. Physica Status Solidi (b), 253, 198–205, 8 (2016), Impact Factor: 2.3. DOI: 10.1002/pssb.201552489
- Ualibek, E. Rezvani, Bulfin, G. Sugurbekova, G. Duesberg, I. Shvets. “Fabrication of Self-Organized Precisely-Tunable Plasmonic SERS Substrates via Glancing Angle Deposition”. Physica Status Solidi (A). 1700088 (2017). Impact Factor: 2.3. DOI: 10.1002/pssa.201700088
- Ualibek, C. Spitas, V. Inglezakis, G. Itskos, "Simulation of the Extensional Flow Mixing of Molten. Aluminium and Fly Ash Nanoparticles". International Journal of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering Vol:11, No:5 (2017)
- Ualibek, A.Tikhonov, A. Kurbanova, Igor Shvets and Gulnar Sugurbekova, “Plasmonic resonance sensitivity in phase transition of Ga nanoparticle arrays grown by Glancing Angle Deposition technique”, Nano Engineering and Materials Technologies III, Vol. 947, pp. 71-76, (2019). https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.947.71
- Aidarkhanov, A. Maxim, Z. Ren, Z. Yelzhanova, O. Ualibek, B. Daniyar, A. Saibitihan, M. Balanay, A. Djurisic, C. Surya and A. Ng, “Optimization of Electron Transport Layers for High Performance Perovskite Solar Cells”. IEEE Electron Devices Technology and Manufacturing Conference Proceedings of Technical Papers, 19690123 (2020). DOI: 10.1109/EDTM47692.2020.9118013
- Sugurbekova, Y. Sugurbekov, G. Demeuova, O. Ualibek, A. Kurbanova, O. Toktarbaiuly and O. Mauit, "The Effect of Doping on the Structure of Zinc Oxide Obtained by Atomic Layer Deposition". Materials Science Forum Vol. 990, pp. 330-336 (2020). DOI: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.990.330
- Book chapter. Seralin Aidar, Rehman Asad, Akram Salman, Vandamme Thierry and Anton Nicolas, Chapter 21 of book «Lipid nanocarriers: Formulation, properties, and applications», Elsevier book «Smart Nanocontainers: Fundamentals and Emerging Applications», published on 15.11.2019, Series: Micro and Nano Technologies, ISBN 978-0-12-816770-0
- Patent. Obtaining method of hydrophobic material. Seralin A.A., Sugurbekova G.K., May 2016, National Institute of Intellectual Property.
Идентификатор - Scopus ID 57208865374, ORCID ID 0000-0002-1261-4582
- Sci.2021, 11(5), 2437; https://doi.org/10.3390/app11052437
- Sustainability2020, 12(13), 5489; https://doi.org/10.3390/su12135489